In this article, you will get a deep understanding of everything you need to know about Chevening Scholarship in UK. As a candidate, you will begin your application with the work experience, heading to the selection of the university along with the field of interest, and will write 4 essays that are a crucial part of the Chevening scholarship online application form but before that, you need to know what Chevening scholarship is about?
About Chevening Scholarship Uk
Among all the top master’s scholarships in the UK, the Chevening scholarship is one of them. But becoming an ideal candidate for this opportunity needs you to understand the application and selection process thoroughly. We are here to guide you step by step regarding Chevening scholarship UK 2023.
Chevening scholarship is a fully-funded one-year master’s degree scholarship program in the UK in which outstanding emerging leaders across the world are calling out to practice their innovative research ideas, work on global problems, and empower their leadership qualities in order to build a better future.
All master’s scholars would get maximum professional experience as they will be supported by Chevening’s fully-funded scholarship. Along with that, scholars would be able to build the network extensively, make International relationships, and experience UK culture. It is a highly competitive scholarship and in order to be selected, it is crucial to be familiar with every phase of the process. After getting a Chevening scholarship, a candidate explores beyond his expectations with plenty of best experiences.
Chevening Scholarship UK 2023 Application Summary
- Host Universities: Eligible UK-based universities for Chevening scholarships
- Duration of the scholarship: 1 year
- Degree Level: Master’s Program
- Application deadline: Chevening scholarship applications open in September and close in November each year
- Application Process
- Submission of the online application form.
- Applying for the universities and securing admission
- English Proficiency Test
Chevening Scholarship UK 2023 Benefits
- Tuition fee waiver
- Economy class return tickets
- Arrival allowance
- Travel allowance
- Reimbursement for the visa application fee.
- Departure allowance
- TB testing reimbursement up to £75
- A monthly stipend for living and accommodation expenses.
Chevening Scholarship UK 2023 Eligibilty Criteria
- A candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree before applying.
- Must be a citizen of one of the Chevening eligible countries or territories
- Must Have at least two years of work experience
- Must fulfill the criteria of English Language requirement
- You can find more information about the eligibility criteria here.
As an applicant, you will have to mention your work experience and your academic background along with the leadership activities in which you have participated so far in the four required essays. After being shortlisted, candidates will be called for an interview in which he/she will be asked about their four essays. A candidate’s work experience should not be necessarily related to his field. Also, a candidate is not supposed to provide any evidence of work experience.
Working hours required
- A candidate’s working hours will be evaluated as 35 to 60 hours a week and 40 to 50 weeks a year. If a candidate reaches above the upper limit for full-time employment he will be ineligible. The number of minimum hours as work experience for the Chevening scholarship is 2800 hours in a time frame of two years.
- If a candidate worked part-time, his experience will have a longer time period.
A candidate must have work experience that should be equivalent to the 2800 hours in the following ways;
- Non-paid Internship
- Part-time internship
- Full-time internship
- No age limit.
- A candidate should hold work experience in the field of study.
- Having a volunteering experience can add more chances for selection.
Choose a Course and University
=How you can select your field of interest and University?
You have the choice to choose any of the 3 different eligible universities with different courses; You can choose either:
- Applying to the same course at 3 different universities.
- Applying in the 3 different courses at 3 different universities
- Applying in the 3 different courses at the same university.
What Degree Grading System you should mention in the application form?
- A candidate should know his grade according to the UK system that is 2:1 or 2:2 equivalent to 12-14 French system or equivalent to 10-11. You can learn further about it on the official website.
How can you know to which university you can apply?
- On the official website, a candidate would get a brief description of the courses and eligible universities to apply to.
Does the candidate apply for a partner university or non-partner university?
- A candidate can apply for both partners as well as a non-partner university but a partner the university is easy to access and understand therefore you secure your admission thereby requesting them to wait until the scholarship results announce.
Choosing a university
- If you had a 2:2 grade then see whether the university you are applying for accepts it or not.
- A candidate should look for whether he belongs to the eligible country or not for Chevening University from the official website.
- A candidate must check whether the eligible university offers the relevant course for his Bachelor’s degree.
- Before applying to the university, a must check the national and international ranking of the university.
- After applying to the university, a must look for the department’s reputation in terms of research and faculty.
- According to the preference of the city, a candidate selects the university.
- A candidate should apply earlier in at least one university in order to assure one choice of admission.
- While applying to the university, a candidate should look into what programs the university offers, life on campus, inter-campus activities, and so on.
Choosing a course of study
- A candidate should always apply for the relevant course of study.
- A candidate should not take any irrelevant field according to the Bachelor’s degree as it will decrease the chances to get a scholarship in the UK.
- While applying for the course, a candidate should consider how the chosen course is going to be fit with the UK’s action in his host country and a candidate would contribute that action after achieving the scholarship.
- A candidate should always look for the course duration as Chevening scholarships’ time duration is 9 to 12 months.
The aim of this scholarship is to create goodwill between the UK and my home country. If a candidate doesn’t find his field of study, he should research articles regarding what the UK is contributing to his country and make a choice for the course according to that while filling out the application.
Answering Essay Questions
Learn how to answer Chevening scholarship answer questions.
There are a total of 4 essays, each essay should be comprised of 500 words;
1st essay is about candidates networking skills
- A candidate should mention his networking and personal relations at the national as well as international levels.
- He should talk about how he deals with the people in a variety of professions including government and international representatives, public authorities, and academia.
- He should mention how he has been familiar with a different culture, age groups, socioeconomic classes.
- He should provide a brief description of how long he has been involved in long-term relationships.
- He should elaborate on his communication skills in different areas.
2nd essay would ask you about your leadership qualities
- A candidate should elaborate on the scenarios in which he played leadership roles.
- How he managed good team management skills in different projects.
- How he led community projects on a fixed budget.
- How he considered the opinion of every member and negotiate among them.
- How he worked with different personalities and led successful projects.
- How his leadership project contributed in the long term and brought a positive change in his community.
3rd Essay would ask you about future career plans
- A candidate should mention his career plans that show how he is going to support his community or country.
- All Goals should be smart enough and realistic.
- A candidate’s plans should include a social, academic, and professional approach.
- A candidate must relate his skills, volunteer activities, and work experience.
4th essay would be about why you want to pursue your studies in the UK
- The desire to study in the UK varies from person to person but the reasons should be valid and appropriate.
- For one year master’s, UK has good merit.
- The UK holds the world’s best leading universities.
- In academics, The UK is one of the top countries.
- A candidate should mention his interest in cross-cultural understanding.
- A candidate should show his interest in International research that would contribute to the community
- A candidate must submit 2 letters of reference.
- A referee must know the applicant either professionally or in academics.
- Reference letters would be verified by the British council once a candidate gets shortlisted.
Once a candidate gets shortlisted, he is going to be invited for an interview in the British embassy of his city or town. While interviewing, be confident and don’t be nervous as it is the stage that leads to the achievement of the scholarship. From March 1st to April 30th, the Chevening scholarships interview 2023 will be conducted. When a candidate gets selected, he receives an email, he must book his interview slot by responding to the email. The interview will be taken place in person, face to face, only in exceptional situations interviews will be taken virtually. The interview will be taken place in English.
A candidate would be required to submit some mandatory documents. The required documents would be;
- Certificates of achievement
- Two recommendation letters
- A short essay on biography
- A passport or Identity card
Preparing for Interview
- A candidate must be certain about his career plans and must be specific to relate his plans to his country’s realities and field of study.
- A candidate must be confident about his values, and achievements, even about small leadership projects, and show that you made a great difference in your community.
- A candidate should read his personal statement or essay earlier in the interview and prepare himself for the questions to be asked by the interviewer. If a candidate knows his application well, he would not be nervous and more confident.
- A candidate must know about his course briefly and must be able to prove his passion for it.
- Practicing for the interview would increase your chances of selection and release your stress beforehand.
- Don’t be monotonous while interviewing, vary your tone, and be authentic.
- A candidate should be dressed up appropriately and must be able to make eye contact with the interviewer.
- A student must be prepared for the questions irrelevant to the course and goals, it might be the places students want to visit in the UK.
- A candidate must be able to show interest in creating goodwill between the UK and his country.
How to Apply
- Find University and Course: An applicant is supposed to find a course and an eligible university for a Chevening scholarship in the UK. You can find courses with a course browser available on the official website.
- Sign up for Chevening Scholarship: An applicant is directed to create an account for applying for the Chevening scholarship. You can access online applications here.
After opening the application, a student will be able to see the following;
- Apply to Any UK university for admission: An applicant is directed to apply for the field of interest or course in any of the 3 eligible universities for the Chevening international scholarship. An applicant doesn’t need an admission letter at this stage. An applicant is not even bound to be consistent with the selected universities when an applicant gets shortlisted for an interview, he/she may change his/her preference for the university.
- Experience Letter: At the time of the application process, an applicant is not supposed to submit the experience letter. An applicant can upload the certificates later. Also, you do not need to have IELTS at this point, once you are selected you will have a timeline to submit IELTS by July, 14.
We strongly recommend submitting your IELTS test result by the End of November or at the start of December. It will create a positive impact on your application. It will also strengthen your Chevening application and therefore your chances of selection will be more. Secondly, you will have much time to improve your score, if you could not achieve the desired band. One more thing you must also check the university’s requirements before applying.