Harvard University is a private Ivy League research university in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Founded in 1636 and named for its first benefactor, clergyman John Harvard, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher learning in the United States and among the most prestigious in the world. Harvard has three main campuses: the 209-acre (85 ha) Cambridge campus centred on Harvard Yard and extending into the surrounding Harvard Square neighbourhood; a medical campus across the Charles River in the Longwood Medical Area; and the Harvard Business School and many of the university’s athletics facilities, located across the Charles River in the Allston neighbourhood of Boston.
Harvard University logo
- #1Ranked in Fastest Master’s in Public Health Programs
- #1Ranked in Best Master’s in Clinical, Counselling, and Applied Psychology Programs
- #6Ranked in Best Doctorate in Applied Behaviour Analysis Programs
- #6Ranked in Most Affordable MPH Online Programs
- School Type: Private
- Status: Non-profit
- Accreditation: Regional
The American city of Cambridge is home to Harvard University. Boston, Massachusetts is located just across the Charles River from Cambridge, a city. Harvard Yard, which lies in the centre of Cambridge, serves as the focal point of the university’s main campus. Massachusetts Avenue, Harvard Street, and Cambridge Street all abut The Yard. Many of the university’s most recognisable structures, such as Memorial Hall, Massachusetts Hall, and the Widener Library, may be found in The Yard. The Harvard Business School, Harvard Medical School, and Harvard Kennedy School are only a few of the other structures and facilities that make up the Harvard campus and are dispersed throughout Cambridge and the neighbourhood.
Harvard University is consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the world. According to the QS World University Rankings, Harvard is consistently ranked as the number one university in the United States and among the top five in the world. Other ranking organisations such as Times Higher Education, Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), and U.S. News & World Report also consistently rank Harvard as one of the top universities globally.
The ranking of Harvard university is based on a number of factors such as the quality of faculty, research output, reputation, and so on. Harvard is also known for its strong graduate programs, particularly in fields such as business, law, medicine, and education.
It is important to note that ranking of universities can vary depending on the organisations or the criteria used for ranking, but Harvard University is considered as one of the top universities in the world by all ranking organisations.
Harvard University Departments
Harvard University has several academic departments and interdisciplinary programs, including:
- Faculty of Arts and Sciences
- Harvard Business School
- Harvard Kennedy School
- Harvard Law School
- Harvard Medical School
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine
- Harvard Graduate School of Education
- Harvard Graduate School of Design
- Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- Harvard Division of Continuing Education
This list is not exhaustive, but it provides a general idea of the range of departments and programs available at Harvard University.
Scholarships Offered by Harvard University
Harvard University offers a variety of scholarships to its students. Some of the scholarships offered at Harvard include:
- Harvard Financial Aid Initiative: A need-based scholarship program that provides financial assistance to students with demonstrated financial need.
- Merit-Based Scholarships: Scholarships awarded to students based on their academic achievement, extracurricular activities, leadership potential, and other factors.
- External Scholarships: Scholarships awarded by external organisations and foundations, such as corporations, government agencies, and non-profit organisations.
- Athletic Scholarships: Scholarships awarded to students who participate in intercollegiate sports.
- Harvard College Research Program: A program that provides funding for students to engage in research projects with faculty members.
- Harvard College Scholarships for International Students: Scholarships specifically for international students who are admitted to Harvard.
- Harvard College Scholarships for Veterans: Scholarships specifically for U.S. military veterans.
It is important to note that scholarships offered at Harvard may change from year to year, and the availability of scholarships may vary based on a student’s financial need, academic record, and other factors. Students are encouraged to contact the Harvard Financial Aid Office for more information on the scholarships available to them.
Intake for Harvard University
Harvard University has an enrollment of around 21,000 students, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. The exact number of students admitted each year depends on the specific program and academic department.
Harvard University is a highly competitive university, and the admission process is selective. The admissions committee considers several factors, including academic achievement, extracurricular activities, standardized test scores, and personal essays, among others.
It’s important to note that the enrollment and admission process at Harvard University may change from year to year, and it’s best to check the university’s official website for the most up-to-date information.
Tuition and Required Fees
Cost of Undergraduate Attendance
Costs based on full-time, first-time degree or certificate-seeking undergraduates for the 2020–2021 academic year.
|COSTS TO CONSIDER||PRICE|
|Books and supplies||$1,000|
|On-campus room and board||$17,682|
|On-campus other expenses||$3,193|
|Off-campus (not with family) room and board||Currently unavailable|
|Off-campus (not with family) other expenses||Currently unavailable|
|Off-campus (with family) other expenses||Currently unavailable|
Total Undergraduate Cost
|TOTAL COST BY CATEGORY||IN-STATE||OUT-OF-STATE|
|Off-campus without family||$48,730||$48,730|
|Off-campus with family||$48,730||$48,730|
More updates about Harvard University coming soon.